Saturday, August 10, 2013

2013 Spring Craft Fairs in Review

This post is a little late, but seeing as how I just started blogging a few days ago, I think that I can have a free pass for this one (hehe). This year was the first time I did any spring craft fairs. I was a little wary of them since it was after the very busy holiday season, but I was still on a high from the 10 craft fairs I had just done during the 2012 holiday season. Needless to say, I did as many as my busy school schedule allowed me to! Six to be exact.


Ha'a Hula Competition
Ko'olau Ballrooms, Kaneohe
This was my first event at a hula competition--the crowd and competitors were really friendly. I also had a beautiful view from my balcony booth facing the mountains. Everyone there seemed to know each other, so it was a very family-oriented event.




The Honolulu Festival

Hawaii Convention Center, Honolulu
I remember the days leading up to the Honolulu Festival...I was so nervous! It was my first big event that lasted over two days. Vendors were already setting up their booths a couple days before the event started, so I knew it was going to be very exciting. This event definitely wasn't boring--I was neighbors to a snack store vendor that had yummy local treats, and I was also next to two costumed Menehune. This was actually the first time I attended this festival. There were a lot of fun family activities and make-and-take crafts for the children. Admission was free for the public, so I would definitely suggest taking advantage of this cultural event next year!



Mililani High School ABC Craft Fair
Mililani High School, Mililani
The Mililani High School craft fair was very kind to me during the last holiday season, so I was anxious to do the one in the spring. The crowd wasn't as big as the Christmas one, but it was still worth attending. My younger cousin, Kellie, kept me sane (I can get pretty crazy before/during craft fairs)--she's one of Leaflet's rock stars. She's not only good company, but she also is always willing to help!



Manana Elementary Craft Fair
Manana Elementary, Pearl City
I remember the Manana craft fair as a sweet surprise. I had actually never heard of this elementary before I saw the sign up banner when I was driving down Kamehameha Highway. I wasn't sure what to expect in regards to sales and the crowd, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was one of the most successful of the the Spring fairs. I had a lovely neighbor, Margie, from Flowers by Margie. She helped me tidy up my booth when the wind unexpectedly knocked over my tree and bulletin board--twice!



Dole Cannery Spring Craft Fair
Dole Cannery, Honolulu
The one thing that really stood out to me in this craft fair are the vendors. This is where I met Stefanie from Death By Scrapbooking--I actually "liked" her on Facebook several months prior, and I always wondered when I would bump into her at a fair! Also, my friend, Kahae from Capped HI, got her first craft fair booth! I bought my first bottle cap lei from her that's made out of 75 beer bottle tops--only $12! I also had a lovely time chatting with other random crafters all of whom are very, very talented. A lot of them actually sell their products in stores and boutiques which was encouraging to hear since I some day would very much like to sell Leaflet products at boutiques/shops as well.


MTA Mother's Day Craft Fair
Mililani Rec Center 5, Mililani
The Mother's Day craft fair was the very next day after the Dole Cannery fair. I was tired from the previous day, but once this craft fair started rolling, I soon regained energy to finish this fair strong. Hmmm...what was popular that day? I sold several $18 long necklace/earring sets along with the rest of my already-made owl necklaces. I think the sets were popular since it was Mother's Day the weekend after. I also got my first (that I know of anyway) repeat customer! When she came up to my booth, I thought she looked so familiar. She then told me she purchased some earrings from me at another fair, and she was hoping that I would be at this one. Totally made my day! :) 



1 comment: